Sunday 3 February 2013

Headwinds are Hard Work for Hardware!

So this week I started my formal coaching with Bee. I don't know if I'm excited, relieved or petrified?! Probably all 3 at once.

After spending an hour and a half talking about what I was doing/wanted to get out of all of this on Tuesday the diagnosis was the same as Paula's; too much too early! Yey I get some time back in my week. Or I did until my second rest day was replaced with core work. Dam.

The training week got off to a fantastic start with a 2.5km swim (that's 1.5 miles in old money) in 60 minutes. On race day I will have to do 2.4 miles so that really gave me a boost that I stand a chance of doing the swim in well under my initial target of 2 hours.

On Wednesday I was treated to a day out of the office at a Group conference to listen to executives talk about our company's strategy. You are no doubt yawning at this point, as was I although it started with a rather cute video of a kid on a BMX starting in Edinburgh and riding through Halifax, Leeds, Bristol, and down to London to pay his £10 into the Bank. I admit even I've not thought of tackling that route. Then after lunch, major joy when Chris Hoy walked onto the stage (I was on row 4) for a 30 minute interview. Far more interesting.

Unfortunately being trapped in a dark room with flashing lights all day triggered a migraine and I had to exchange the turbo trainer for my sofa all evening with the lights turned off. If you are going to get to rest surely it's only fair that you are well enough to enjoy it?

So that meant catching up on Thursday night and I completed the most hellish turbo training session yet (when the title is "Very Hard Hill Set" you know you are in trouble), and at one pointed wondered which was closer, the bathroom or the back door if I was actually sick. Friday was a tempo run, and saw a PB for 5km in 26 minutes (2 mins less than my previous PB).

Saturday dawned bright and sunny and for the first time in months I rode over to Hilden to meet the girls. As I turned left in Golden Green I picked up 3 guys and rode to the end of Three Elm Lane with them, determined to hang on to the wheel in front of me (the guy behind was drafting off of me, so I needed all the pull I could get). The headwind was hellish and I had to fight my way over, knowing that the route also went back the same way so I had to ride it twice!

This week was the first week of the Kent Velo Girls 50 mile course which I was helping with by leading a group. It was no more than a standard Saturday ride this week but about 20 miles in (i.e. 30 for me) I realised I was shattered. The headwind was back and I was on the verge of bonking. The girls were fabulous and supplied real food (as opposed to the shot bloks I was carrying) and we all made it back in one piece.

Finally this morning I had to do 2 runs! Yes 2! After a very muddy and slippy 4.56 miles in 56 minutes (with T2 back on his bike off road for the first time since he smashed his knee) I had a lovely cuppa and put my trainers back on. Not sure which was harder the running or the will power to get back out....




No comments:

Post a Comment