Sunday 7 April 2013

Half-a-Marathon-Hardware

After the slog of last weekend I was a relief to have a day off on Tuesday. It was glorious and sunny and it lulled me into a false sense of security.

As the train pulled into Paddock Wood on Wednesday night the heavens opened up - with snow. I might have guessed. I was down for a brick session, therefore where the trainers go, the snow goes. Putting the bike back onto the turbo I settled in for a twin set of 20 mins spin, 10 mins run.

Thursday morning I was up and out with the lark to the pool and then started to taper for the weekend.

Driving to Hilden on Saturday morning to do just a regular Saturday 25 mile it crossed my mind that this was what normal life felt like. A lovely, pretty much flat ride out to Edenbridge with Claire, Jo, Angela and Jenny, no mechanicals, no punctures, not even any moaning about the route from Noshowjo. Bliss.

It's taken 3 years to get to the start line, and as I lay in bed contemplating running 13.1 miles pre-race nerves struck. When we pulled up in Paddock Wood station car park, being able to park in my normal car parking space made me feel more reassured and suddenly the nerves were gone.

As horn sounded the crowd surged forward and we were off. About 3 miles in I caught up with Carol looking splendid in the green and black jacket of the Natural Running Project (run coaching with the NRP is something I would recommend to anyone looking to improve their technique, avoid injury or just get faster - without Matt's coaching last year I would never have got to the start line). Carol was setting the perfect pace so I stuck with her for a few miles relying on the metronome she had merrily ticking along.

There were some familiar faces on the course and it was great to feel supported. There were spectators along the route cheering and shouting words of encouragement.

By the 6 mile sign I was comfortable with the 9:20-9:30 mile pace and I was pretty confident I could keep it up. I realised that I was looking at a 10km PB at 56 minutes.

Just before the 8 mile sign I realised that I was slowing and my biggest regret was that I hadn't taken any gels with me. Just when I was wondering how I was going to get around the next 5 miles Carol caught me back up and kindly gave me a High5 gel. For those of you who ride with me regularly you know how much I hate gels, the only ones I can stomach are isotonic, but that gel tasted as good as it could possibly get. Thank you once again Carol. Once the sugar had hit my system I felt great again and was back on the target pace.

Shortly after 9 miles I realised that I was in uncharted territory, which gave me a bit of a buzz.

There were little kids handing out sweets at about 10 miles which was great except the fruit pastel stuck to the roof of my mouth and I was still trying to deal with it by the next photographer. Goodness knows how bad the shots will be. I picked up the pace around 11 miles and tried to keep it under 9 minute miles.

Before I knew it the route turned back into Paddock Wood and it was the home stretch. As I ran past Evendens I pushed hard up the hill over the railway line and then turned into the industrial estate to the end and pushed into a sprint, looking at my watch I was managing 7:25 miles and I knew I could push over the finishing line and still feel relatively fresh.

I am ecstatic with an over time of 2:02:47 (that is 2 minutes 48 seconds I need to be faster by next year) and needless to say that after a quick bath a very nice Sunday roast followed at the Poet in Matfield.

Thanks for all your words of support and congratulation it meant a huge amount.




No comments:

Post a Comment