Sunday 28 April 2013

Post Race Blues

Training started again last Tuesday morning with the usual early morning swim and it felt good to stretch through the water although I suffered no aches and pains after the half marathon.

Unfortunately my meetings over ran and I missed the early train out of London meaning that I wouldn't make Paddock Wood Athletic Club. Walking through the door I quickly changed and walked back out again. As I ran up Whetstead Road and over the railway line my legs felt light as a feather. Things started to change about a mile in, although I couldn't put my finger on it I just didn't feel right. Back at Mote Farm I considered taking a short cut back to the house but ploughed on across the fields. When I got back to the main road about 5 minutes later I felt awful, stomach cramps, nausea, and my head was spinning. Needless to say I turned left and headed home.

On Wednesday I still didn't feel right, but I hopped on the turbo to see how not right I was. Things felt OK, so I completed the planned session, 2 short bricks, back to back. Tim's comment as I ran out the door "it's raining slightly" really didn't do the torrent justice, and it was only after I had finished that I realised I hadn't been cold running in cycling shorts...perhaps the weather is turning.

By Thursday morning I was feeling all right again as I slipped into the pool. I had to flog myself to hit the 3km in 60:41, but by late afternoon I started with a migraine. It never came to anything, it just floated around being annoying.

Friday night it was another wet one as I hopped back onto the turbo and Saturday morning saw my beautiful carbon bike sitting at home whilst Doris (my heavy winter aluminium bike) and I went out. To get the mileage up without interfering with the normal Saturday rides we took the normal 25 mile groups, my turn for the hills as I stole the route Paula plotted last week (great route Mrs V-S!). It was mild and sunny, and a pleasure to be out after months of freezing miserable conditions. After a quick lunch stop a bunch of us headed out for a second ride, and some familiar faces joined us. Noshowjo bailed after a lap of Powder Mills, and Heidi joined us for the first half to test her lungs, it was great to see both back out on their wheels (and yes Mrs F of course you need a new bike...). We were at Edenbridge when the rain caught up with us, but after what we have cycled in it had little effect on morale. The garmin had a nasty habit of pausing itself though, I didn't reset between rides and that may have caused it to get confused.

I woke up late on Sunday and felt guilty that I wasn't at the KVG Sportive. The warm front which had been forecast had miraculously arrived and it was 15 degrees by 9:30am. Heading out for the first run of the day I regretted wearing full length Ronhills, this was shorts weather! Whoop whoop. I couldn't face doing the same out and back I have been doing for weeks so I set off to run some routes which I haven't covered since I lived in Kingshill 4 years ago. After running through West Malling high street, I turned off into the country park, only to find that it was a mud bath and about as slippery as an ice rink. Turning back out of the park I cut back across the dual carriageway and carried on in an eastward direction. Finding a public bridleway I turned off of the road, and 5 minutes later had to get my phone out to work out which way I needed to go. After lots of twists and turns, (plus a few google map checks) I ended up in East Malling (yey, back on track!) and headed back in. It hadn't been a quick one (I'm blaming too much time spent checking the map) and I'd only covered 8 miles in 90 minutes but it was a pleasure to be out in such beautiful weather.

After a nice lunch with Tim, and a window shopping trip to a couple of local bike shops (trying on lots of shorts as I need some new ones for the Outlaw), I was back out again for another 50 minute run. Looping around Laybourne Lakes the container which is used as a changing room/reception was open, so I stuck my head around the door to ask how "warm" the water was...9 degrees.. hummmm... won't be in without a wetsuit that's for sure! Unfortunately my stomach kicked in about half way through, when the only option was to keep going and the rest of the night and the next day was spent suffering from cramps and sudden sprints to the bathroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment