Tuesday 2 April 2013

Recovery Week?

Firstly apologies to those who have complained that my blog is a week behind... I will tri harder to get it back on course....

After something in the region of 18 hours training the week before last week's recovery period started with 3 days rest. In other words 3 nights of catching up on chores. Looking back I've no idea where the time actually went and the wash box is over flowing yet again.

Up at the crack of dawn once again on Thursday and in the pool by 7:20 am. I'm not quite sure how my swim sessions are calculated, and I don't think I always get the splits right but it's a great way to start the day. After a short session I was at work by my normal time and the end of a 4 day week for Easter.

I'm not sure what was "good" about Good Friday. It was freezing cold and as we huddled over our bikes at 8am at Hilden I just prayed that I didn't get the girls lost, as I've never led 60 miles. From the go my Garmin wouldn't work so we were in from a magical mystery tour. Somewhere near Penshurst it totally switched off (and yet I know the battery was charged) and when I turned it back on it was another 5 miles before I realised I hadn't pressed go.

At Eridge the route showed a cycle path under the A26 which was surprisingly there. Only problem was that after it crossed the main road it turned into an off road path only suitable for knobbly tyres. The road I had actually plotted turned out to be a driveway to a private house with "No Entry" signs posted everywhere meaning that we ended up on the A26 afterall and turned off to Bowles. I was working off of instincts now and knew that we needed to avoid Boars Head, as we cycled past the sign for Boars Head Road... Turning around at the top I'm not sure my "extra hill training" was that popular but we finally found the road to Marks Cross and were back on route. At the cross roads in Wadhurst, where the sign to Lamberhurst said 5 miles we went straight over and up (yet another) hill, at the top I was unsure of which road to take to go straight on. Sadly we picked the wrong one (team choice) and ended up in Frant - where the signs to Lamberhurst now said 6 miles.

We were 30 miles down so it was time for a tea stop in a lovely pub with a roaring log fire. Hatty picks some lovely places to have punctures so we had plenty of time to warm up and down a few bowls of chips whilst poor Hatty ran in and out trying to drink her tea before it went cold. A quick recalculation meant that we could head up to Kipplings Cross, through Matfield and Brenchley and back via Yalding on the flats (which had been part of the original plan). The snow started to get heavier as we left Frant as it slapped us in the face. All in all a very successful ride and we even managed to work some magic and produce some (almost) warm sunshine towards the end to fill our token Weather Girl's demands.



Saturday on the other hand.... was meant to be warmer, brighter and generally nicer. Someone lied. It was even colder. The snow was falling from the off and the winds were bitter. I questioned my sanity in taking my summer bike. For the first time in years it crossed my mind that I didn't have to do this. I turn around and go home if I wanted. Failure of course was not really an option. However when Paula got (the first) flat 4 miles in and the gas froze in the tube as we tried to inflate the replacement it was awfully tempting. One emergency call out (thanks to Christopher) later, we were off again, just running a little behind schedule. When Paula got her second puncture on Pilgrims Way I tried to arrange a call out but with no success. Whilst we fixed it the girls took turns to pee behind the bushes (no naming and shaming....). It was poor Emma's first ever lead and we did a quick recalculation before agreeing on a slight diversion into Snodland for a hot drink. The Shell garage didn't know what hit them. Paula managed to break the coffee machine (why do these things happen on our rides?!) and after we had eaten all the hot sausage rolls, pies, pastries etc and used their facilities (nicer than a bush) we were off again.

By the 30 mile mark we were on uncharted territory, making it feel like an adventure. Despite the weather we were feeling brighter and so long as we kept moving not too cold. We slowly climbed the North Downs and got nearer to our half way point. With 5 miles to go there was another cry from PVS... and yes... another puncture. By the time we got to Emma's for our tea stop everyone was ready for a rest. It felt like so much more than 40 miles! Huge thanks to Emma who having ridden as far as hard as everyone else flitted around the kitchen producing toasted bagels and hot cross buns for us to refuel on. Given it was after 2pm we would run out of daylight before we got the planned 90 miles under our belts, so we agreed to head back in, which would put us about 60 miles. The snow started again as we left Eyensford but as we wound around the M25 the sun (briefly) flirted with us. Climbing Ide Hill on the last stretch made me realise how much easier it was than when I rode up it in January and at the top we celebrated Claire's longest ever distance. The hop skip and a jump back to Hilden around Bough Beech felt easy by then but the weather meant that the light was fading and everyone was glad to get back to their cars. Thank you to Paula, Emma, Sarah, Jane and Claire for a terrific ride.

On Sunday I was paying for it. My summer bike set up had been tweaked the week before and the new set up had put a lot of strain on my legs. The words "listen to your body" went through my head and for once, I listened to it. Mainly because it was hard just walking up and down stairs, so I switched my rest day and had a day chilling with Tim.

Bank Holiday Monday meant that I had to get back on track so after procrasting as long as I possibly could I put my running gear on and Tim pushed me out of the door. Following the same route as the previous Sunday I realised that I was about 2 minutes ahead of myself as I passed the previous half way mark. Monitoring the speed I knew that I was in for a PB, and indeed hit the 9 mile mark for the first time with a time of 1:27. Bring on Paddock Wood Half Marathon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment